The Importance of Staying Fit and Active in Retirement
As we age, it’s more important than ever to maintain a healthy lifestyle. A vital component of overall wellness is regular physical activity, which can improve our energy, help manage various medical symptoms and keep us independent.
At Havenwood Heritage Heights in New Hampshire, we’re big believers in the power of exercise to help seniors stay vibrant and engaged throughout their retirement years. As Sue Pollock — our Director of Fitness & Therapeutic Recreation — will tell you, exercising on a regular basis can benefit you in a number of ways.
How Does Exercise Help with Aging?
A recent study found that exercise is the top contributor to living a long life. In fact, it can help extend our lifespans even if we don’t start working out until our retirement years.
But exercise is even more about quality of life than quantity. Regular physical activity provides a myriad of health benefits, experts say, including:
- Improvements to conditions like diabetes, colon cancer, obesity, and osteoporosis.
- Better immune function and an increased ability to fight off illnesses and infections.
- Improved cardiovascular functioning, including a lower risk of high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Better digestive health.
- Improvements in balance and a reduction in the fear of falling.
Is Physical Activity Safe for Seniors?
In a word, absolutely! Of course, you should always check with your doctor before starting an exercise program, but the experts agree: Physical activity is one of the best things seniors can do to boost their health.
Some seniors hesitate to start exercising because they fear the activity might hurt them in some way. But the truth is, research has found that the real risk lies in a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise. Loss of independence when we age, experts tell us, usually relates to a lack of activity rather than to an injury from exercise. A dearth of physical movement can result in more use of medications, more doctor visits and more hospital stays.
Fitness the Havenwood Heritage Heights Way
At Havenwood Heritage Heights, an active adult community in NH, you’ll find a strong commitment to wellness. We make it easy for our residents to get moving with a variety of fitness-related activities and amenities:
- Group exercise classes, including aerobics, Tai Chi and yoga.
- Excursion clubs for hikers, skiers, bikers and more.
- Nature trails and paths for walking.
- Dakim BrainFitness labs, offering “brain fitness” software that has been clinically tested.
- Keiser fitness equipment, which uses pneumatic technology to minimize shock to the muscles and joints.
As you evaluate active adult communities in New Hampshire, consider the importance of physical activity for your continued health and independence. To learn more about the many ways to stay fit at Havenwood Heritage Heights, please contact us. Better yet, plan to come for a visit. Seeing is believing!